Thursday, May 18, 2006

Albino Outrage . . .

With all of the furor surrounding the release of Ron Howard’s ‘The Da Vinci Code’, you might have missed the piece about people with albinism who are upset by the portrayal of one of the films characters. One of the film’s main villains, Silas, is a person with albinism – or more commonly referred to as an albino. Here it should be noted, that the preferred terminology is ‘people with albinism’. I hope I don’t have to explain this to you.

According to this AP article, “Critics cite a long list of albinos cast as heavies by Hollywood: The dreadlocked twins in "The Matrix Reloaded," a powder-haired hit man in the Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn crime romp "Foul Play," the pasty zombies in "The Omega Man," a sadistic killer in "Cold Mountain," even the wicked executioner in the fairy-tale comedy "The Princess Bride."”

In the article, Michael McGowan, an albino who heads the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation said, "We understand that millions read it and when they go to the movie, they're going to want to see the albino monk-assassin," McGowan said. "It's the cumulative effect of having one evil albino character after another that was disturbing to me."

All I can say is if people that looked like me were constantly playing the villain in movies, I’d eventually get pissed too. I might even form an organization to raise awareness about the issue. Check out skinema.com . . . you may just get a different perspective on the situation.

I’m still gonna see the movie.

Kosher Ham

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home