Friday, January 27, 2006

A Million Little Pieces Of Crap . . .

My only familiarity with James Frey’s memoir . . . err . . . novel . . . A Million Little Pieces is what my wife told me as she read it in between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Knowing that I was unlikely to ever pick up an Oprah Book of the Month Club selection, she offered me a blow-by-blow account of Mr. Frey’s harrowing addiction and recovery from drug and alcohol addiction. As she told me about the book, my thoughts ranged from “preposterous” to “ridiculous” to “I can’t believe this guy is still alive”. I never gave much thought to the truth, as I assumed it was account of Mr. Frey’s life. However, I did assume that there were many an exaggeration, some more obvious than others. Nonetheless, there is a story told by James Frey, and maybe readers and critics alike, should go back a read the story as a novel, and see what they come away with before placing Mr. Frey on the crucifix.


You see, I don’t really care whether Mr. Frey told the truth or not, and to be quite honest, I’m a little perplexed all the outrage. I’m the kind of person that’s a little more concerned about whether or not our elected representatives, including the President of the United States, are telling the truth. Their lies are much more harmful, and much more detrimental to our Nation than anything James Frey could possibly say. And for those of you who might say I’m minimizing the James Frey saga . . . I say “yes” . . . I am minimizing the situation.


Why was it ever maximized? Don’t we have more important things to attend to?


Kosher Ham


PS – Guess what? The movie Fargo is also not a true story as it claims to be. It was just a stylistic tool. Should we flay the Coen brothers?

1 Comments:

Blogger common language said...

Amen, brother. Amen.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home