Saturday, December 10, 2005

Thanks For The Laughs . . .

"Long Beach is no place to get busted. You call your friend, you say, 'Hey, I got busted. Come bail me out.' They say, 'Where you at, man?' You say, 'Long Beach, bro.' They say, 'You shit out of luck, man. No way I'm coming down there to bail you out.'"--Richard Pryor, "Live in Concert," 1979.

I was saddened today to learn of the passing of the great comedian Richard Pryor. Richard Pryor was probably one of the first stand-up comedians to make me laugh. I was pretty young, maybe 6-7, when I first heard his stand-up comedy routine from the film, Richard Pryor Live in Concert. This is one of the funniest performances ever – seriously.


As a youngster, the joke that I remember most was about how his Doberman Pinchers didn’t help stop a burglar from stealing from his house. He does an impersonation of his dogs actually directing the burglar as to where to good stuff is. As I kid, this was funny stuff. And, as a matter of fact, Richard Pryor gave this performance at The Terrace Theater, right here in Long Beach, California . . . how many of you knew that?


In the 1980’s I probably saw Stir Crazy more often than anything else, except for maybe The Toy. I will always choose to remember Richard Pryor as one of the first people to make me laugh.


Thanks for all the laughs, rest well.

Kosher Ham


PS – If you have any fond memory or a favorite movie of Richard Pryor's, please share them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home