Thursday, December 08, 2005

Depressed Telegram . . .

Long Beach has one local daily newspaper, the Long Beach Press-Telegram. Because it is the only daily newspaper in Long Beach, I feel compelled to put a link to it on the side of this page.

In terms of providing news, the PT is pretty decent. I mean, it's not even close to being in the same league as the Los Angeles Times, but there are some good local journalists who work there. But a lot of the material is from the newswire services, and you can find those articles reprinted in other Southern California newspapers.

A for the editorial board, well, I disagree with the editorial board about 9 out of every 10 times. Actually, I fundamentally disagree with them on just about every issue. Sometimes they'll call a spade a spade* . . . but that's pretty much like the pot calling the kettle black.

You should read it, if only to know what the only local daily newspaper in Long Beach is telling people to do. For example, they endorsed President George W. Bush a second time. Not even President Bush's hometown paper did that. The editorial page usually reads like something straight out of the Heritage Foundation or the Reason Foundation . . . pretty conservative stuff.

The anonymous speak out line is pretty cool, but I've never used it. Well, I've tried, but I've never been printed. I have had a few Letters to the Editor that have been printed, and I've had one full editorial run. So, for as much as I disagree with the Editorial Board of the only local daily newspaper in Long Beach, I can't say they don't print opposing view points, because they most certainly do . . . and I hope everyone, and I mean everyone . . . can appreciate that.

Kosher Ham

* Just to be clear, "Calling a spade a spade" is not a racist term . . . plus I'm black anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home